A MUST-BUY for
The AmScope M30-ABS-KT2-W Beginner Microscope Kit is an ideal microscope for young children who are eager to learn more about the world that they can’t see with the naked eye. This kit is best suited for use by younger children ranging from 6 to 12, although younger children may need help and supervision when using this microscope and kit. While this microscope is not quite a toy, consumers should not expect this microscope to be the same quality of those microscopes you would see in a real laboratory or even in a high school science class.
One of the things that make this AmScope perfect for use by younger children is the fact that most of the tools included in this set are plastic and therefore safe to be used by most young children. While this is a starter microscope kit, when you consider all of the accessories that come with the kit, you get a lot of bang for your buck.
Items Included in the AmScope M30-ABS-KT2-W Beginner Microscope Kit
This Microscope Kit comes with 49 accessories. Here is what is included in this kit.
- AmScope M30 microscope
- Shrimp hatchery
- Brine Shrimp eggs
- Specimen slicer
- Petri dishes
- Plastic tweezers
- Plastic Scalpel
- Plastic spatula
- Plastic stirring rod
- Graduated cylinder
- Eosin ( A red fluorescent dye)
- Gum media bottle
- Sea Salt
- 5 prepared slides
- 7 blank slides
- 7 slide covers
- 7 Statistical slide covers
- 7 slide labels
- Collecting vials
- 2 AA batteries
- Spare LED bulb
- Plastic carrying case that holds the entire kit
Features of this Microscope and Kit
This AmScope and the accompanying kit has all the basic features you would expect to find in a beginner microscope kit for young children. Some of these features include:
- Both LED and mirror illumination
- Magnifies to 300X, 600X, and 1200X a forward facing rotating turret makes changes magnification easy. Do keep in mind that not all specimens will be clearest on the highest magnification, so adjustments will needed when viewing different specimens.
- The microscope comes in a hard ABS plastic case
- 49 accessory kit
- Comes with a built in color filter wheel for better viewing of objects.
- This microscope has a coaxial coarse focus, rack and pinion focus on a durable white stain resistant base.
- Comes with 5 prepared slides so beginners can learn to adjust the microscope to get a clear view.
- 7 Blank slides to prepare your own specimens based on individual interest.
- Stage clip to help hold the slides in place when viewing them.
What this Microscope is Best Used For
This microscope is best used for encouraging a child ‘s interest in science while teaching them how to use a basic scientific tool. The price of this microscope allows almost any family to encourage their child’s interest in the world in general and in science specifically.
In addition, this is a pretty cheap way for families to share an interest in exploring the world that can’t be seen with the naked eye in a way that is interesting and fun.
This should be considered as a first microscope and used to teach your child how to care for this type of equipment without having to worry about any mistakes ending up being extremely costly.
Before giving this microscope to your child, it would be best for you to try it out so you can assist your child in learning how to set up the slides, adjust the magnification, and generally learn how to use the microscope effectively.
Reviews for the AmScope M30-ABS-KT2-W Beginner microscope kit are good, but not great. However most of the negative reviews are in regards to the quality of the this microscope. We feel that this low ratings are realistic, when you consider the price of this microscope and all of the accessories. It appears that many customers are looking for a high quality piece of equipment for a bargain basement price. When you pay under a $100.00 for a microscope and an addition kit of this size you need to have realistic expectations of what you will get. There are however, several realistic reviews for this microscope that spell out both the benefits and disadvantages of purchasing this kit.
Click here to see all the reviews in detail >>> AmScope M30-ABS-KT2-W
Benefits of the AmScope
Users find that are some significant benefits to purchasing this microscope. These benefits include:
- Good Starter Microscope for younger children– While most users state that this is not a top quality microscope that it is a perfect starter microscope for younger children as it is easy to use and comes with the potential for any child to partake in a variety of microscopic observations as well as allowing them to create their own slides.
- Encourages Your Child’s Interest in Science- This microscope is a fairly inexpensive way for you to encourage your child’s interest in science. Your child not only will learn the basics of using a microscope, but will also learn to care for scientific equipment properly.
- You Get a Lot of Equipment for a Low Price- Several reviewers mentioned that this kit comes with a lot of equipment for a very low price, making this kit an excellent value.
- Children Love it- Despite some parents complaint about this microscope, the children who received it really like this microscope and don’t seem to have a problems using it.
Disadvantages of the AmScope
There are some legitimate disadvantages to owning this microscope that is worth considering. These disadvantages include:
- Plastic Lenses- Users find that the plastic lenses on the microscope is easily scratched and difficult to clean properly so some users find that these lenses have spots making it difficult to properly observe the specimens.
- No on/off switch for the light- Once the microscope is set up they find that there is no on/off switch for the light so the microscope’s light remains on unless you remove the batteries.
If you are looking for a functional microscope with plenty of accessories for a young child that won’t break the budget this microscope and kit may be an excellent choice.